Luxury homes in Cayman are usually decorated with high-quality furniture such as modern bedroom sets, antique dressing tables, grand wooden cupboards, elegant sofa sets, and more.
However, you will need to take adequate care of your furniture much in the same way as you take care of your Cayman Islands luxury property, given that The Cayman Islands is exposed to the tropical air of the Western Caribbean Sea. To protect your furniture from damage because of exposure to the elements, it is essential to take care of it by following the points given below:
Keep your furniture away from the sun for prolonged life
- First and foremost, it is essential to keep your furniture away from the sun. Even if your furniture is indoors, the light coming through the window can increase the moderate temperature inside the room. This in turn, can affect the wood and even cause it to shrink, which will cause cracks in the furniture.
- It is okay to clean the finish of the wooden furniture in your Cayman home with the help of mild soap and warm water. However, it’s not okay to soak your furniture in warm or cold water. You can use an old toothbrush or a flat headed paintbrush to reach areas which you cannot access with your hands. Then, utilize a soft cloth or a paper towel to clean the furniture and wipe off the residual moisture.
In the Cayman Islands, your furniture requires additional care
- A soft-paste wax can come in really handy to protect the finish of your furniture. Apply a thin coat of this wax as directed by the manufacturer. After waiting about 5 minutes, you can buff lightly with the help of a soft shoe brush or a cloth. This will make your furniture shine beautifully. If your wooden furniture has metal hardware attached to it, then remove it first before you want to polish the metal. After using the appropriate metal polish, put it back where it was without scratching or damaging the wood beneath.
- In case of sofa sets and chairs that are covered in fabric or furniture textiles, it is necessary to keep them free of dust and stains. Since furniture fabric can be either made from natural or synthetic material, proper knowledge of maintenance of these is essential. Dirt and dust will damage the fabric and will render it useless in a short time. Regular vacuuming is essential to achieve the long life of the fabric. Avoid harsh solvent removers or common household cleaners. Get expert advice in case it is necessary.
- In case you have leather furniture, it's best to follow the advice of the furniture vendor. Nevertheless, protect your leather furniture from heat and dust to prolong its life. Also, wash off water soluble stains with a soft cloth or sponge that has been wrung out in boiled lukewarm water. Avoid using chemicals to clean leather. Remove dust and regularly clean by vacuuming and dusting with a soft and clean cloth.
In general, maintain your furniture with care. Wash untreated wood with soap and water and dry well after rinsing the soap. In case of lacquered and painted wood surfaces, simply wipe with a damp cloth. Use no solvents. In case of oiled wooden furniture and waxed wooden furniture, it's best to follow the recommendations of the manufacturer. For powder coated and steel finishes, clean with a damp cloth. Finally, for plastic surfaces, clean with a mild detergent.